The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography (PMHB) is a quarterly scholarly journal and one of the country’s most prestigious state historical publications. Published since 1877 by The Historical Society of Pennsylvania, it is an important resource for those interested in a scholarly approach to state and local history, industry, genealogy, culture, and related subjects. For more information about the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, visit the society's website.
To subscribe to current issues of the journal or for information regarding submissions, visit the society's Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography page.
On this site, readers have access to a century of back issues of the journal, beginning with Vol. 31 (1907) and continuing through Vol. 129 (2005). One new volume will be added to the digital archive each year forward.
Issues Published 1907-2005
- To search for authors, titles or words in the full text of issues from 1907-2005, visit the Archives on this site.
Issues Published in Other Years
- If you have a Penn State Access account, the most recent issues in full text are available at The Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Website.
- For access to Volumes 1-30 (1877-1906) in electronic format:
- If you have a Penn State Access account, go to the full text of the earlier journal issues through the ProQuest American Periodicals Series database (you will see a different interface and search engine).
- To locate other libraries that have copies, consult OCLC WorldCat, where you can search many libraries at once for an item and then locate it in a library nearby. You may need to be a member of a library that subscribes to WorldCat to view/download content or check out materials through its Web site. Search the magazine title PMHB.
- Consult your local library for interlibrary loan options.
- For some 20th century articles, serach Google Scholar.
- A PMHB journal subscription is a benefit of membership in the Society and is also available to individual and institutional subscribers. Find out more about membership in The Historical Society of Pennsylvania.
FOR AN ADVANCED SEARCH, CLICK ON THE SEARCH TAB AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN.
USE THE RIGHT NAVIGATION BAR FEATURES TO QUICKLY SEARCH AND BROWSE JOURNAL CONTENT.
CLICK ON THE ARCHIVES TAB AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN FOR COMPLETE ISSUES BY YEAR OF PUBLICATION.
This site is the official digital archive of The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography and was created in cooperation with HSP by the Office of Digital Scholarly Publishing, a joint effort of The Pennsylvania State University Libraries and Penn State Press. For more information about the Office of Digital Scholarly Publishing. And please, tell us what you think!
Banner image courtesy of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.